Orion StarBlast 4.5 Astro Telescope

Orion StarBlast 4.5 Astro Telescope
  • Compact 4.5-inch (113-mm) f/4 Newtonian reflector, comes ready to use
  • Only 25 inches tall, it makes a great "grab-and-go" telescope for impromptu observation sessions
  • With a tabletop altitude-azimuth mount, 6- and 17-mm Explorer II 1.25-inch eyepieces

I've had an Orion StarBlast for over a year now, and even though I have larger, more sophisticated telescopes, it is the one I use most. The setup is instantaneous though, like other reflectors, it takes some time to cool down on cold nights. It's easily portable, and works well as a grab `n go. The short focal length makes it excellent for low power, wide field views of deep sky objects and the moon. Through the StarBlast, I have observed (to name a few) the Ring Nebula, the Andromeda Galaxy (along with its two neighboring galaxies), Galaxies M81 and M82, countless open clusters, the Lagoon and Trifid nebulas, The Eagle Nebula, the nebula in Orion, comets NEAT and LINEAR. Jupiter's belts and moons are apparent at higher power, as are Staurn's rings and the phases of Venus and Mercury. During the last opposition, I could see Martian polar ice caps. During the last lunar eclipse, I had no trouble taking digital photographs through this instrument.

This is the same fast optics formula as the Edmund AstroScan and Bushnell Voyager bowling ball. The StarBlast is far and away the best of the three, but as with the others, the high power views are soft. That feature is not a problem for those of us primarily interested in deep sky. Planetary views could be more detailed, and my own StarBlast won't split the double double in suburban skies. (Orion's somewhat longer 4.5" f 8 dobsonian is more suited to these subjects.) In addition, most globular clusters present as unresolved fuzzy balls, as they will in any instrument of this aperture.

For the price, though, you can't really beat the StarBlast. It works well as a family telescope, or as a casual scope for someone interested but not obsessed by astronomy. It is small, inexpensive, and intuitive enough to be handled by children. It also works nicely for crusty old guys like me who have bigger hardware, but just don't feel like moving it every night.

Buy Orion StarBlast 4.5 Astro Telescope Now

I agree with all the previous reviews. I've owned a number of telescopes. In all honesty, I never planned on getting this scope, but I changed my mind the first time I looked through one at star party. As some of the reviews have mentioned this little guy isn't really designed for high power views. However it does a decent enough job with it's 6mm eyepiece (75x) which lets you see Saturn's rings. Where this scope shines is wide field objects like the Pleiades, which are too big to be seen in a normal telescope. I believe a previous reviewer mentioned a jerky motion when turning the telescope. I was able to minimize this by taking the lazy susan type base apart and spraying Pledge furniture polish on the laminate surface to lessen friction.

The biggest "con" this scope has is that it needs to be set on top of a table in order to get the eyepiece up to a comfortable height. However this telescope still blows away anything I've seen in Costco, Wallmart, etc.

One thing you should be aware of is you really have to go somewhere pretty dark away from all lighting for this and any other telescope to achieve it's best views. Ideally somewhere out in the country as far away as possible from street lighting will let you enjoy much better views.

Read Best Reviews of Orion StarBlast 4.5 Astro Telescope Here



Hello!

This is a great telescope for a beginner.

First, let me share my credentials: I'm an advanced amateur astronomer, having been in the hobby for over 15 years.I have a 16" diameter telescope that I made myself, and I worked for a telescope company (not Orion!) for 4 years, designing telescopes for them.I think I know a little bit about telescopes...

I bought this scope (my 5th!) because it received a very positive review in Sky & Telescope magazine, and it fit my needs: something portable, easy, of good quality, and inexpensive.I bought it with the intention of using it only for quick sessions when someone asks me to look at something.I've ended up using it for much more than that!

In talking with my students, I see that choosing a telescope becomes very complicated if you try to learn about the features and specifications and try to make a choice that way.Frankly, don't bother.Just buy this one and most likely you'll be satisfied.It certainly beats other telescopes in its price range.

It has only 2 drawbacks.First, the eyepiece ends up very low, so you need to place the scope on a table, crate, etc.The option is to observe on your knees, which is fine for most, but might not be what you expect.

The second drawback is that views of the planets will be small.But they WILL be decently SHARP.I would recommend buying a 2x Barlow lens, to increase power.This is an inherent tradeoff in wide-field telescopes like this one, and a tradeoff I would take ANY day because finding objects is much easier if you've got a wide field of view.Just buy the Barlow and you're all set.

Some other reviewers mention a "jerky" motion in either axis.You can adjust that!Just loosen the bolt holding the axis together, and you'll reduce friction.Note, however, that if it's too loose, the scope won't stay put!This happens on every telescope, by the way, not just this one.

I highly recommend this scope.Good luck, and keep looking up!

Andres Dandler

www.AstronomyMadeSimple.com

Want Orion StarBlast 4.5 Astro Telescope Discount?

I absolutely love Orion Products, and I have been fortunate to have experienced a few of their telescopes through classes, star parties, etc. This little Orion StarBlast 4.5Astro Telescope [Altazimuth-based Reflector TabletopScope] is by far my all-time favorite small scope. I love everything about it: the color, the user-friendly design, the easy assembly, the sturdy base, the easy-to-do eyepiece / focuser unit, the potential for cool add-ons like Barlows, filters, and eyepieces, and the value for price. I am also impressed with the very informative, encouraginginstruction manual that comes with the product, which would be helpful for first-time scope users!

Remember, of course, the key word here is "tabletop" scope. The scope does not have long, adjustable legs like those found on equatorial mounted scopes. [I find EQ mounts and refractors very irritating to set up for short nightly use and quick views, which is why I prefer this StarBlast scope.] Many users will want to place the Starblast on an outdoor table or sturdy platform to raise the product up for more comfortable viewing. This is helpful, and I have done that. I have also just spread a large exercise mat / blanket on the ground and placed the telescope there with all its accessories. I had no trouble using the scope from this position--with both of us on the ground! This is actually my preferred way to gaze at the Orion Nebula. [This method is also safest when using the telescope around children--who may, in their excitement, knock the scope off a table or platform.]

Now, I wear eyeglasses, so I am always careful to choose equipment and eyepieces that can accommodate me. The instruction manual of this scope provides some helpful tips for eyeglass wearers. Especially helpful is the comment: "If your eyes are astigmatic, images will probably appear best with glasses on. This is because a telescope's focuser can accommodate for nearsightedness or farsightedness, but not for astigmatism" (Orion Manual, Page 5). Many first time telescope buyers aren't aware of eye relief effects or the unique optical properties of telescopes--like the focuser attributes or inverted images.

If you are interested in eye relief, let me recommend this product: Orion 17mm Stratus Wide-Field Eyepiece, 1.25"/2", which is also available from Amazon, I think. You can really see well with this EP, and it does not stress your eyes like cheap "peep hole" EP's. **For those who can afford pricey solutions, check out the Televue Dioptrx Astigmatism Correcting Lens options. Research well though before you buy!!! Your eyes, scope, and correctors all have to be compatible! Certainly do not invest in something like before you are 250% sure that you love star-gazing and telescope viewing, especially on a regular basis. Each person must weigh benefits against costs in these instances.**

My StarBlast came with two eye pieces: 17mm and 6mm Explorer II eyepieces. I can use the 6mm, but it is uncomfortable.I prefer the 17mm--which is better for my eyes, or my own added-on Stratus one as discussed above. Just for fun, I used eyepieces from another one of my scopes in the StarBlast and received some satisfying views as well: Sirius Plossl Eyepieces, 25mm and 10mm, 1,25" So, even though StarBlast comes with the tiny 6mm, there's no law that says you have to be confined to just the included eyepieces. The beauty of this product is that you can expand your collection and your seeing with some well-chosen, additional products. Many stargazers generally collect eyepieces very different from their product's standard inclusions. :)

A good way to explore eyepiece topics, astro equipment, night sky events, and space news is to subscribe to Astronomy magazine or to Sky & Telescope. My other advice for all first time telescope users is this: Understand that no home telescope will give you Hubble views; it's virtually impossible. So, don't expect your scope to show you the same images you would see in say magazines or National Geographic or on TV. REMEMBER: when you are using your own personal scope, you are viewing live sky--you, our planet, and the celestial targets are in a sense "sharing the same (vast) space" at that moment-each moving as its own nature / design dictates --unlike a static image in a publication. You are not just a spectator watches images; you are a participant! There's a certain thrill that goes with this! :) When I saw an interesting arrangement of Jupiter's four Galilean moons and the planet itself one night, I was totally thrilled, praising the scope. Now, the view was tiny (as this is a "small" scope); however, it was live. Jupiter look like a parent with for little children gathering around!

So, when you finally target Saturn or Jupiter in the StarBlast. savor the thrill of that moment, that astronomical connection. Remember that you are seeing them with more power and more knowledge than even Galileo himself! Thank him for his contributions though, for his efforts opened new worlds to humanity.



My sister was considering a telescope but was unsure whether she should put out a large amount of money for something she might not often use. I suggested the Orion StarBlast Astro Telescope as a way to test the waters first. The telescope is very inexpensive, yet reviews of the scope are good. What I didn't expect was how good this little telescope can be. Saturn's rings are clear, with a hint of Cassini on still nights. Jupiter's two primary bands are clear as well, and globular clusters are much brighter and more resolved than you would believe possible for a scope of this price (don't expect glittering jewelry boxes though.)

The scope is well built, solid, yet lightweight. Its incredibly easy to use, and the view in the primary's sweet spot is bright and clear. Outside the sweet spot the images get distorted quickly, but for this price that is a small consideration.

Like the rest of the scope, the red dot finder is easy to use. My sister's scope did not have the jerkyness other reviewers have reported, but I can't say whether we were lucky or they weren't.

I have an informal test of whether a first telescope is any good: did the new owners put it in closet after a few frustrating attempts, or have they developed a growing fondness for and knowledge of astronomy? In our case the little StarBlast excelled at this test.

One prior reviewer asked why, with a telescope this good at this price, everyone didn't have a telescope? Good question -for a first scope, its well worth the price. If you are planning to buy or give a first scope, I wouldn't look any further. You will still be happily using this scope long after you move up to larger, more powerful telescopes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment