Pass the Pigs

Pass the PigsI am a teacher and I use this game with my kids at school all the time.They LOVE it from grade school to high school depending on how you use it.

I don't really follow the rules that came with it, only the values of how the pigs land.I have used it often in an afterschool tutoring program were we often practice math facts and addition.I took the instruction sheet from the game, found the place where they have the pigs drawn and what the rolls are worth, enlarged it on the copier so all the kids (usually less than 6) can see it at the same time (and of course, colored the pig drawings pink!)Then each student rolls, finds what his roll is worth, and adds his score.The first to pass 100 points wins.We sometimes start with 100 and subtract our score -the first to zero (or less) wins.We have played where I announce at the beginning of the round that "This roll will be multiplied by 7"..the kids all cheer "Come on doule razorback!"I was amazed how fast they learned what each roll was worth.I would have liked to try something with fractions, but my study group wasn't ready for that.(For example, you could make each roll worth a certain fraction and they would have to add them up at the end of the game.)

We have also used it to study for tests.I ask them a question and if they get it right, they get to roll.I am sure you could adapt it to lots of subjects.It is just a fun way to do rote things with a little more fun.

I have also used it with younger kids who cannot add yet.I drew them a 100 square (a little block about 3"x3" divided into 10x10 grid) and made a bunch of copies.Then they roll, find their score on the scoresheet, then color in that many squares with a marker.Nice counting practice, and visual of how much different coloring in 20 is from coloring in only 5.I sometimes ask them "Look at your paper and at Joe's.Who has more squares colored in?How many do you need to catch up?"

I really don't see any problem with the competing, and I sort of like the added benefit of learning HOW TO LOSE (which few seem to know) and other sportsmanship behaviors.

The only problem I have seen with the game is that the little black dot (on one side of the pig) wears off and I have to keep drawing it on with a sharpie.Also, after about a year, their little piggy tails are hardly hanging on.I need a new set.

GET THE GAME....have fun, change the rules, make up new ones...the pigs are the motivation...you decide what you want them to learn from it.OR learn nothing and just play.You'll like it.



Pass the Pigs is a variation on Yahtzee, with the fun little pig dice being thrown into different combinations with various point values.

It's a great game to take on trips, or to pull out when entertaining children of various ages; everyone can enjoy it.I've played with children as young as 4 and had a fine time.

Although the rules of the game rely on the player taking a turn until he or she determines that luck is about to run out (at the risk of losing all accumulated points), this can easily be modified (esp. for younger children) so that each player throws the dice in turn and records points.

The educational value is in using mathematical skills, and pattern recognition skills, for younger players.

This game is very durable, but it would be a sad day indeed if the little pigs were ever lost.Luckily, all the parts (pigs, score pad, pencil) fit into a neat little case.

Buy Pass the Pigs Now

I really like this game for a number of reasons. First, because it's fun for kids AND adults to play, second, because it is very small and portable, and third, because it does require some math, giving it some educational value. It is also a quiet game requiring only a flat surface on which to roll the pigs and enough light to see them. It's nice that there are also so very few parts to lose (2 pigs,pencil,& paper-all in a case).

We keep a set in our car, and when we are waiting to be seated or served at a restaurant, it's a great way to pass the time.It also makes a nice little gift for friends going on a trip. I only wish that I had thought up such a simple, but clever game!

Read Best Reviews of Pass the Pigs Here



For under $10, those who have never seen this game before will get their money's worth just by looking at the package. Little pink pigs that you toss in the air!A sleek 1950's-style metal container, as if you're going compete with the Russians in pig launching. A bonus card game named "Snout."Get out your transistor radios and Etch-A-Sketches and have a retro party (hold the ham)!

THe concept is simple and brilliant. THe pigs are your dice, and you get points for the positions in which they land.Each of these positions has a name (e.g. Snouters, Trotters), and the more improbable, the more points (although I'm not sure that this has been physicist-tested). Yes, it's great for toddlers and kids, but it has that great goofy quality that nonconformist teenagers and young-at-heart adults will love. Not sure of hte all-important zany/stable balance of your new sig. other--get out the Pig game!

While the game can get old after awhile, what game doesn't.It can be put away and brought out whenever a suitable occasion arises. For kids, you might want to pair the porcine ones with one of the books in a Amazon.com listmania list that I compiled: "Piggy Lit. 101."Like the "Hungry Hippo" game, I suspect that "Pass the Pigs" appeals to some deep-seated animal instinct, long repressed.Get this game, have fun with it, laugh at it and with it, and release your inner pig!

Want Pass the Pigs Discount?



What an awesome game! A counselor introduced me to Pass the Pigs when I was a kiddo at summer camp, and now I'm in college, and still rolling the pigs! It's great fun, and I've been throwing the same pair of hogs for the past decade.

How can it be educational? As with any game of chance, there are different probabilities for different situations that might arise during game play. There are many different strategies, and if you look at this game from a strategic point of view, it can be very educational to someone learning statistics or probability.

Some of my friends and I have even come up with a drinking game for Pass the Pigs....

Take the plunge, and buy "Passthe Pigs".It'll be the most fun you've ever had with a dice game.

Save 28% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment